$26/Guest 12+, $16/Guest under 12
Allow 2 hours for this adventure. From Joseph to the city of Enterprise and back, this trip is for those seeking a fun peaceful adventure. Individuals and families alike enjoy this beautiful trip. The 12 mile round trip starts out with the awesome Wallowa River crossing and ventures into tall pine forest. Following the forest the tracks lead you into wide open pasture land with farm animals and vast open valley views. The return trip provides some of the most breathtaking unobstructed views of the majestic Wallowa mountains you can find. There is only one way to see the valley like this and this is it.
When and Where does the trip start?
Please arrive in Joseph at our office located at 501 W Alder Street (look for the long white tent at the base of the white grain silos) 20 minutes prior to your departure time so that we can get you checked in and your seats adjusted for your trip. Allow yourself some time to gather your belongings and to use the restroom if need be. We have a restroom at our departure site as well as at our turn around site in Enterprise.
What do I need to bring?
- The sun in Joseph is very intense. All riders are suggested to wear sun hats, sun screen, and other weather gear dependent on the conditions. A sun umbrella is a great tool to keep you cool.
- Bring water, or a sports drink. We have water, drinks, and snacks available for sale at our departure site if you need to buy some. NO COOLERS PLEASE
- Don’t forget to bring your camera.
- If you have children who may not be able to reach the pedals you may bring along your car seat. We can strap it in just like you do in your vehicle. Each Railrider seat has a lap belt. Generally children under 3 are best in a car seat. And typically (depending on leg length) children age 8 and up can comfortably reach the pedals to help.
Available pedal assist
The average grade is 1.5% and will be uphill on your return trip. Your guide will accompany you throughout your journey. If you require it your guide will provide a pedal assist. If you feel you may need it, all you need to do is ask. However please understand that the assist is simply that, an assist, it is not a push. You will still get a genuine Railrider experience as you are required to continue to pedal. Our pedal assist will take the edge off and make pedaling more comfortable. The ride is not difficult but can be more challenging on the return trip for some guests. However most don’t need it if they follow the guidelines we provide as far as coasting down to Enterprise to save your energy and setting a gentle comfortable pace for your return journey. We can only assist a very limited number of Railriders. Please do not rely on using the assist as your only way back to Joseph, that is not what it is intended for.
What’s Joseph have to offer?
Joseph has all sorts of services; adventure, shopping, food, drink, public restrooms, parks, motels, lodges, BnBs, RV parks, and more.
Need Help Finding Lodging? CLICK HERE
Things to see and do in Joseph.
There is a lot to do in Joseph, we’ll offer some of our favorites.
- Ride with Railrider Cycling, of course.
- Take out a one-of-a-kind Glass Bottom Kayak with JO Paddle.
- Soak in the Joseph main street Artwalk. Larger than life bronze statues occupy nearly every corner throughout town.
- Explore the many wonderful shops and restaurants on Main Street offering everything from souvenirs to fine art and dining.
- Visit Wallowology a science and natural history funseum that will immerse you in the natural history of Wallowa county.
- Ready for more adventure? Seek out Winding Waters River Expeditions. There are thrills around every bend when you venture out on white water. They also offer fishing tours and rent recreational equipment.
- Joseph is surrounded by some of the most astounding nature one can dream of. Visit the Forest Services’ Wallowa Mountains Office for loads of info on great places to hike, camp, and explore.
- Wallowa Lake State Park is a great place to explore, you can also enjoy the lake on the North side at the county park / boat launch.
- History buff? Check out the Wallowa County Museum and the Maxville Heritage Center for a glimpse of Wallowa county past.
- Wallowa Lake, spend time there, don’t miss it if you can help it.
- Also don’t miss Joseph City Park. The brand new playground was hand built by the community of Joseph. We’re super proud of it and we welcome you to enjoy it with us. There is a splash pad too that operates in the summer which is a great way to cool down.
That`s a lot to soak in, but that’s just scratching the surface of what Joseph and Wallowa County has to offer. Visit the Wallowa County Chamber of Commerce for more places of interest.