Allow up to 6 hours for this adventure. From the confluence of the Minam and Wallowa Rivers at Minam to the city of Wallowa and back, this ride is for the more adventurous, although it is very doable. The 26 mile round trip begins in the timbered canyon. Following the tumbling waters of the Wallowa River upstream, it passes through meadows and stands of cottonwood, before entering the town of Wallowa. The grade is a gentle 1%. A guide will accompany you throughout your journey. There is NO pedal assist for this trip. You must have advanced reservations for this trip. It is not possible to take this trip without one. Same day walk ups will not be permitted to ride.
Check out a video by Xplore Film featuring our Minam to Wallowa Day Trip at the bottom of this page.
When and Where does the trip start?
Please arrive in Minam prior to 9 am, allow yourself some time to gather your belongings and use the restroom. See directions at the bottom of this page. Park your car at the WURR sign next to the railroad. Your guide will meet you there at 9 am. Plan to return to Minam no later than 3 pm. Tickets must be purchased in advance for our day excursion, $48 per person.
What do I need to bring?
- All riders are encouraged to wear sun hats, sun screen, and other weather gear dependent on the conditions.
- Bring water, or sports drinks.
- Pack your lunch unless you plan to dine in a café in Wallowa.
- Spending money for whatever you might discover in Wallowa.
- Don’t forget to bring your camera.
- Helmets are optional but are provided for you if you would like one, or you may bring your own.
What’s Wallowa have to offer?
Wallowa has food, water, restrooms, parks, motels, and an RV park. There are antiques, artwork, and rich history to be found here. There is a track side park for a picnic or several small cafés for lunch.
Things to see and do in Wallowa.
- Visit the Farmers Market for local produce and handmade crafts
- Check out the Gene Hayes Gallery & Museum (301 Donald St., Wallowa, OR 97885) Hayes Art Group Facebook Page
- Explore native history at the Wallowa Band Nez Perce Trail Interpretive Center (209 East Second St., Wallowa, OR 97885)
- Take a moment to relax at the quaint Wallowa Library
What’s in Minam?
You will find a small convenience store, motel, rafting service with rentals available, and a state park in the nearby area.
Directions to our Minam departure site
From La Grande
- Distance: 35 miles
- Time: about 40 minutes
Take Exit I-84 at exit number 261 to La Grande.
-Turn right onto Island Avenue, proceed for ½ mile then left on Wallowa Lake Highway 82.
Continue on Hwy 82 to Minam which is located at the bottom of the Minam grade at the river. The motel, WURR Sign, and our parking area will be on the left just before the railroad crossing in Minam.
From Enterprise / Joseph
- Distance: 35-41 miles depending on your starting city
- Time: allow about 40 – 50 minutes
Take OR HWY 82, West for 35 – 41 miles to Minam, located at the confluence of the rivers. The motel, WURR sign, and our parking area will be on the right just after the railroad crossing in Minam.
Filmed when helmets were mandatory, helmets are now optional.